Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: I don't know or have forgotten my password. How do I reset it?
- Answer: You can request a password reset by visiting this page.
- Question: The dates/times associated with my submitted material seem to be a few hours off. Why is this?
- Answer: This happens when we are unaware of your local timezone. Please set your timezone in your account settings page.
- Are underrepresented in Computer Science and Technology fields in terms of race, creed, or background
- Have little to no access or exposure to Computer Science education in school
- Are Free and Reduced Lunch eligible
- Identify as female regardless of gender assignment at birth or legal recognition
- Are current high school sophomores and juniors
- Atlanta, GA: June 4 - July 20, 2018; June 11 - July 27, 2018
- Austin, TX: June 18 - August 3
- Boston, MA: July 9 - August 24
- Charlotte, NC: June 18 - August 3
- Chicago, IL: June 25 - August 10
- Dallas, TX: June 11 - July 27
- Los Angeles, CA: June 18 - August 3; June 25 - August 10
- Miami, FL: June 18 - August 3, 2017
- Newark/Jersey City, NJ: July 2 - August 17; July 9 - August 24
- New York City, NY: July 2 - August 17; July 9 - August 24
- San Francisco Bay Area, CA: June 11 - July 27; June 11 - August 3; June 18 - August 3; June 25 - August 10
- Seattle, WA: July 2 - August 17; July 9 - August 24
- Stamford, CT: July 2 - August 17
- Washington DC: June 25 - August 1
Question: Who is eligible for this program?
Answer: The Summer Immersion Program is an introductory program for girls who are new to Computer Science. To apply, you must be a current sophomore or junior in high school and be able to spend all 7 weeks with us. Applicants who have taken AP Computer Science or an equivalent intermediate or advanced course are not eligible. The program is 100% FREE and we also provide need-based stipends to cover transportation and living costs (See the Summer Stipend Application). Girls Who Code serves all girls, especially those who:
Question: What are the deadlines to apply for the Summer Immersion Program?
Answer: Please see the table below:
|Round One||Friday, February 16, 2018 at 11:59 PM PDT.||Mid-March, 2018|
|Round Two||Friday March 16, 2018 at 11:59 PM PDT.||Mid-April, 2018|
Summer Stipend Applicants: Please note that if you would like to apply for our Summer Stipend (see below), deadlines and notification dates are the same as those of the main Summer Immersion Program Application.
Question: I don’t live in the United States; am I still eligible?
Answer: The Summer Immersion Program is only open to students who currently reside in a state or territory of the United States.
Question: I filled out the eligibility portion of the application; what happens next?Answer: If you are eligible for the program, your application will open directly below the eligibility section. Please refresh the page after your submit your eligibility, as the application may take some time to load. If you see "[Your Name]'s Application to Ineligible Applicants", you are ineligible to participate in the Summer Immersion Program at this time.
Question: What do I need to complete the Summer Immersion Program Application?Answer: Internet Access! Girls Who Code does not ask for GPAs, a transcript, or letters of recommendation. If you are interested in applying for the Summer Stipend, we suggest having a parent or guardian available.
Question: What does the application look like?
Answer: The Summer Immersion Program Application will require students to fill out information about their school, personal contact information, as well as their parent or guardian's contact information. We recommend having a parent or guardian near by when working on the application. Students will also be asked to complete a short answer question.
Question: I don't see a SUBMIT button at the bottom of my application. What should I do?
Answer: Your Summer Immersion Program application is automatically submitted once you submit the Signature and Submission task. We strongly recommend reviewing your answers to previous sections before submitting this task.
Answer: Yes. Applicants who apply by February 16 will be notified by Mid-March, 2018. Applicants who apply early and are waitlisted will receive priority consideration in the regular admission process, with notifications sent on Mid-April, 2018.
Question: Does applying early (by the February 16 deadline) affect my chance of being admitted?
Question: When does the application close?Answer: All applications must be submitted by 11:59 PDT, March 16, 2018 to be considered.
Question: How should I select my preferred program locations?
Answer: Applicants are permitted to apply to a single program region. Within each region, they may apply to multiple program locations. This year, the program selection step in the application includes regional maps highlighting our program locations. Please use these maps as a guide when selecting program locations. We recommend selecting programs that you will be able to travel to and from comfortably during the given program dates.
Question: What are the dates of the Summer Immersion Program?
Answer: Program dates vary from city to city. Please see below for the 2018 Summer Immersion Program Dates
Technical problem? Please fill out a support request form for assistance.